Sunday, December 18, 2011

DIETING 101

One day, a couple weeks ago, I decided that I would go on a diet. Nothing too extreme- because (I will admit it) I do enjoy sweets and other yummy (albeit, fattening) treats. Now, I decided this at night and made a promise to myself that the following morning I would get my butt up and exercise. At my parents house, we have a little home "gym". It is in my basement and includes: a VERY old treadmill, some weight machines, a bench, some random hand weights, and an ancient stereo. Although it isn't as shiny and new as a local gym, is suffices.
Well, that morning I DID get up and exercise. I got up around 9, and I ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes (let me add that I was doing this while listening to Christmas music). That went pretty well, so I continued on to doing some pretty intense ab exercises and a couple things with weights. After this, I drank a lot of water and made myself a tasty, healthy lunch. My lunch consisted of cut up cucumbers, and a whole grain english muffin with apple butter.

During this time I was developing a severe cough (and I am still trying to get over it). It was a constant, deep cough and every single time I had a coughing fit my stomach muscles would tense up. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but since I had the bright idea to do an ab work out, I suffered greatly for the next couple of days. It was torture haha and I will NEVER EVER work out like that again while being sick. ...but anyways, that next day my mom and I decided to go to the grocery store and get some healthy stuff to eat. My goal was to get stuff that I could grab and take to school with me. We decided on...

some lean cold-cut turkey, yogurt and granola, whole grain fig newtons, fiber one bars, almonds, and some fruits and veggies.

Very yummy stuff. Now, since then I have exercised a few times (things have been hectic trying to get my fall semester over with) and I've been pretty conscious of what I have been eating but I also have done some no-no's. But, everything in moderation! It is okay to eat some things that aren't so good, as long as it isn't an everyday habit! So I'm not discouraged- yet!
I also got some ingredients for a yummy salad! I made one the next day. It had romaine lettuce, cut up cucumber, turkey, sunflower seeds, dried cherries, and poppyseed dressing!



Tips and input are always appreciated, so if anyone has some helpful ideas they would like to share let me know!
Happy dieting ;)

p.s. If you were wondering....yes I am aware that it is the holidays, and yes I am aware of how hard it is to diet during this season!

No comments: