Monday, December 19, 2011

BOOK LIST

I love to read. It is absolutely one of my favorite things to do. I also love to recommend books to my friends and family- because one of the best parts of reading is being able to talk about it with someone afterwards! Whenever I don't have a new book to read, I go back to my personal collection and pick one that I haven't read in a while and reread it. My family always makes fun of me because they think its pointless to read something you've already read, but I enjoy it. It honestly gives you a chance to pick up on stuff you may not have caught during your first read. I recently reread a book by Jodi Picoult (one of my favorite authors) and that is what inspired me to create this book list! It is simply a list of books I have really enjoyed and would recommend to other readers out there!

"Water for Elephants"


I read this book before it became a movie, and although I really did enjoy the film I highly recommend that you read the book too! No movie could ever portray the detail put into this book. For those of you who haven't seen the film, the book is about a circus in the 30's, and a young man's journey while working there. It is also a love story, for you girls. But it is a great read for guys too, my dad really loved it! For those of you who liked this book, Sara Gruen wrote another book called "Ape House" which was also an awesome read! 

"Something Borrowed"


This book also became a movie! But the movie was extremely different from the book. I did enjoy the movie, but the book was a little more serious- whereas the movie was pretty much a romantic comedy. The book is about a lawyer who has just turned 30 and has always been stuck in the shadow of her best friend. It is a very relatable story with a very intriguing twist- the main character is in love and having a relationship with her best friend's fiancĂ©. It is a great story, and an easy read. There is also a sequel, by Emily Griffin, to the book called "Something Blue" which I also read and loved! 


"Picture Perfect"


I am a HUGE Jodi Picoult fan. I have read several of her books, and I would recommend every single one of them to any audience. But I am going to save myself some room here and only include two of her books in this list- an older one and a new one. "Picture Perfect" is an older one, written in the 90's. It is a very complex storyline, but a very easy and quick read. I can't relay too much of the storyline for fear of giving too much away, but it is about the complexities of a marriage (between a scholar and a movie star) and it has a very dramatic twist! 

"Sing You Home"


This is my pick for one of Picoult's newer books, and one of my absolute favorites of hers. It is a very unique storyline and nothing like anything I've ever read. It is a huge advocate for gay rights. It is about a relationship between two women and their fight to have children. The book also has a CD that includes a song for each chapter that you read.

"The Hunger Games"


I read this book in one day, and I could not stop talking about it. It has an awesome storyline, and something that you would never expect. It takes place in the future, and is in the perspective of a younger girl who is picked for The Hunger Games. That is all I am going to reveal about the storyline, and alls I have to say is that if you haven't read it, you need to read it now. It also has sequels by Suzanna Collins, that are must reads, called "Catching Fire" and "Mocking Jay". These books are also rumored to become movies, which I am really excited about! 

"Simply From Scratch"



I had never read anything from this author (Alicia Bessette) before, and my grandmother actually recommended it to me. I was kind of skeptical at first, because the first couple of pages somewhat bored me. But, I decided to give it a chance and kept reading and I loved it! It is about a young widow coping with the sudden death of her husband and the unexpected relationships she makes along the way. It is a story filled with love and hope, and is definitely an uplifting read! 

"Confessions of a Shopaholic"


I love Sophie Kinsella. She is a British author, and so funny. She tells a story of a woman who has a little bit of a shopping addiction. For those of you who love shopping, you will really appreciate her funny, heartwarming story of one woman's shopping problems and love life. There are also a few sequels to this story (which I have read, and are so worth the read) : "Shopaholic Ties the Knot", "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan", "Shopaholic and Sister", and "Mini Shopaholic". 

"The Help"



Such an amazing story by Kathryn Stockett. It takes place during the 60's, when African American rights really come into play. It is a story of a white woman and her unexpected relationships with black women, and ends up helping them in a tremendous way. It is a page turner, and I became emotionally attached to the book (haha). It also became a movie, which I have not seen yet, but I did hear great things about it. But movie or no movie, I really recommend this read.

"Chelsea Chelsea, Bang Bang"


For those of you that like comedy. I love Chelsea Handler. I love her show. I just love her, in general. I think she is hilarious, and I read all of her books- which I recommend ALL of them. But "Chelsea Chelsea, Bang Bang" was probably my favorite. All of her books are a collection of short stories, written by Chelsea herself. They instantly put you in a good mood. They are a little vulgar, and she does swear, but it is SO funny.

That is it for my book list for now. I could go on and on for pages, but I'm not going to do that! I hope you do read at least one of these books. And if you do, feel free to let me know what you thought about them!

Enjoy ;)

No comments: