Saturday, January 7, 2012

I LEFT MY HEART IN MISSISSIPPI

For my winter break I got to fly down to Mississippi to visit my boyfriend for 11 days. It was so much fun. He lives right on the edge of Mississippi and Louisiana, and Memphis is only 20 minutes away.
He lives in a really nice apartment complex, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. He lives with his sister, Andrea, and their 2 doggies- Abby and Winston. Jake recently adopted Winston, and we have no idea what breed he is. He is so adorable.


Of course, right when we got home we just had to exchange Christmas presents! I couldn't wait to give him his gifts. I got him a stocking, with lots of stocking stuffers. I also got him a remote control helicopter (which he LOVED) and made him a frame-which I blogged about below. He got me a frame, a shirt, and cowboy boots! I seriously love them so much.


Since Jake had to work a lot :(, we spent a lot of time at the apartment. Which was nice, and very laid-back. Jake's parents went out for New Years Eve, so the kids stayed home and had a little celebration. It was just Jake, Andrea, Dylan (their step-brother), and me. We played monopoly and made yummy snacks and watched the ball drop. It was a great start to the New Year.



The night before I left, Jake took me to downtown Memphis. There is an awesome street called Beale Street, where there are tons of little bars and shops. We went to Gus's Fried Chicken, which is a famous little hole-in-the-wall place with delicious chicken! 


I also got to try fried green tomatoes for the first time, which were so yummy! And Jake made a lover of sweet tea out of me! Sweet tea is on all of the menus in the south, and it is amazing. 


After we ate, we walked around Beale Street. 



There were so many cool shops and little bars and restaurants. On the weekends the police block the road off, so you can just walk wherever. There were awesome carriages that lined the roads, they looked like something out of Cinderella. My favorite part was all of the jazz places, since Memphis is like the jazz capital of the world there were so many places that honored that. And in almost every shop you go in there are a ton of Elvis products! I plan to visit Graceland (where Elvis lived and died) next time I visit! 



I had so much fun. I absolutely love the south and I can't wait to go back! After about a 3 hour flight home, I will be going back to school this week (boo) and my mini vacation will be over. But I am so glad I got to visit with my love and his wonderful family. I'm already planning my next trip to the south :) 

3 comments:

KNOX said...

Yay! So glad you had fun! <3 Can't wait to see you :-)

whileshedreams said...

Reading this is like reading my own blog from a few years ago... :D Literally when I first started visiting Erik down here, I felt exactly the same way. Except I left my heart in Carolina ;) As hard as long distance relationships are, there is also a lot of excitement and fun to be had in the build up/countdown days and in visiting new places with someone you love. It truly makes you appreciate every moment you have together. So I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it, and not just agonizing over being apart - most girls could not do what you are doing and I have done. Are you seriously considering moving south after school? If you ever want to chat about it, you know who to talk to :) xo

amanda said...

It is hard sometimes, but I am lucky enough to get to visit pretty often. I'm going back down in February during my spring break, so I'm excited about that :) and I love going there, because its like a mini vacation and I get to spend time with his family, which is lots of fun. But yes, I'm considering moving down there! With his job, the likeliness of him being transferred to Michigan is pretty slim so I will most likely be going down there! Which is a little scary, but I'm also really excited. I like it down there a lot. But thank you, I actually used you as an example the other day while talking about long distance relationships! They may not be for everyone, but some people can make it through haha.