Thursday, November 10, 2011

GROWING UP

When you are in elementary school, you start to build a framework for your life. You start to establish what kind of friends you are going to have, what kind of hobbies you may come to enjoy, your talents, your favorite things, the things you can not stand, all sorts of things. Then comes middle school. Those years are pretty hard. Kids are cruel. And during those years, every preteen feels lost at some point or another. Basically, you try to get through those years as fast as you can. Then high school comes, and those four years are filled with happy and confusing and sad and crazy memories. In high school, you pretty much have established the group of friends you fit in best with. Although I had several friends, a lot of my friends were different from each other- they weren't friends with one another. Which at times made life difficult, but it also made life interesting. I got to meet a lot of different people, and that was fun. When you graduate high school, you make packs with all of those friends, promising that you will always stay in touch no matter what. The first year, freshman year, was okay. You keep in touch (thank goodness for Facebook, right?) and you still consider them your best girlfriends. But as time goes on, you start to realize that those old friends you had, the ones you always thought you would be calling when you were still forty years old...actually turn out to be the friends you don't really turn to anymore. Parents were right when they always said that during college you find out who your real friends are. On that note, it is especially hard to remain friends with people who don't understand and don't always support your decisions. This may sound whiney, but it is hard. My dilemma, is that I'm with someone. And I love him. I'm excited, and happy. And I would like to be able to share it with all of my girlfriends, but they don't understand. I have a few friends, my best friends, who are there no matter what and for that I am truly thankful. But I am scared to tell my other friends, and thats not right. I should not be scared. I am also thankful for that special guy in my life, who helps keep me sane through school and all that other crazy stuff. Maybe growing up isn't just about the obvious stuff, maybe its about accepting that you are who you are and that you should surround yourself with people who support you. No matter what.

No comments: